What is Mibble?
Mibble is an open-source SNMP MIB (or SMI) parser library for Java. It reads MIB files (in ASN.1 syntax) and provides an API to access all the information, including OIDs, types, descriptions, comments and the original MIB source text.
What does Mibble include?
- A Java library for parsing SNMP MIBs
- All standard IANA and IETF MIBs
- A graphical MIB browser with a simple SNMP manager
- Command-line apps for MIB formatting and validation
See the feature list for a more detailed list.
Is Mibble open source?
Mibble is dual-licensed under GNU GPL and a commercial license. The full source code is provided under both licenses. The project is available on GitHub.
- The GNU GPL license permits free usage, but redistribution of Mibble or derived code is restricted to using the same license. See the GNU GPL license FAQ for more information.
- The commercial licenses permit inclusion in almost any software product. Licenses are purchased from the Mibble Store. See the commercial license FAQ for details.
A note on SNMP
Please note that Mibble is not an SNMP stack or MIB compiler. It merely provides the functionality for reading SNMP MIB files (i.e. a SMI parser). You can use Mibble together with either SNMP4J or Westhawk's SNMP stack if you need both MIB parsing and SNMP manager functionality. You can also use Mibble as the basis for a MIB compiler, as it provides all the readabke information from the MIB files.
Further information about SNMP is available in RFC 3411 - An Architecture for Describing SNMP Management Frameworks.